Provençal Vegetable Pie
Another favourite dish with our clients is the Provençal Vegetable Pie.
- 1 red onion
- 1 small fennel
- 2 courgettes
- 30 ml olive oil
- 800 ml hot tomato sauce
- 400 gr can of flageolet beans
- 125 gr pitted black olives, chopped
- 1 tbsp capers in brine, drained
- salt & pepper
- 1 french stick for the topping
- 90 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1 clove of crushed garlic
- 25 gr freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Peel and slice the onion; trim and dice the fennel and courgettes. Heat the oil in the frying pan and fry the onions and fennel for about 10 minutes until softened and lightly golden, them add the courgettes and fry for a further 5 minutes. Stir in the hot tomato sauce, together with the beans and their liquid, the olives, the capers and seasoning to taste.
- Transfer to a lightly oiled deep 1.5 litre baking dish and cover with foil. Bake in the oven at 200 Celsius/mark 6 for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile cut the french stick into thin slices. Mix the oil, herbs and garlic together in a shallow bowl. Remove the stew from the oven, dip the slices of bread in the oil mixture one at the time and arrange, overlapping on top of the vegetables to form a crust.
- Scatter the cheese over the bread crust and bake for a further 15-20 minutes until crisp and golden. Serve with a green vegetable and/or salad.
This entry was posted in Food and recipes.