Dutch Appel Taart
This is one of my grandmother's recipes which never fails to impress. It is delicious and ever so easy.
- 100 gr sugar
- 200 gr butter
- 300 gr S/R flour (or Gluten Free Flour)
- 1 lemon
- 1 tsp baking power (GF for Gluten free cake) add 1 tsp Gum for GF cake
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp salt
For the filling
- 750 gr peeled and cored apples
- 50 gr demerara sugar
- 1 dessert spoon cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- juice of 1 lemon
- 100 gr raisins (if using)
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4.
- Grease a 23cm springform cake tin with oil and line with greaseproof paper.
- Beat softened butter and caster sugar together until light and creamy. Add the egg and finely grated lemon peel. Then slowly add the flour, baking powder and salt and mix well.
- Peel the apples and slice them into bite-size cubes or slice in food processor. Add cinnamon, ginger, mixed spice raisins (if using), lemon juice and sugar and mix well.
- Press the cake mixture into the prepared cake tin, press down on the bottom and halfway up the sides. Tidy the sides by slightly pressing down on the top. Keep a bit of the cake mixture to scatter over the top.
- Arrange the apple pieces on top of the cake.
- Crumble the rest of the pastry on the top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow to cool for 5 minutes in the tin before removing cake
This entry was posted in Food and recipes.